Home / World News / Gaza’s Future at a Crossroads: Hamas Demands End to Israeli Offensive Before Any Talks Begin

Gaza’s Future at a Crossroads: Hamas Demands End to Israeli Offensive Before Any Talks Begin

Gaza’s Future at a Crossroads: Hamas Demands End to Israeli Offensive Before Any Talks Begin

The future of Gaza is once again at the center of global debate — but for Hamas, there is one clear starting point: the violence must stop.

In a strong public statement released Thursday, the Palestinian Islamist movement said that any discussion about Gaza’s political future cannot move forward unless Israeli “aggression” fully ends first. According to Hamas, meaningful negotiations must begin with a complete ceasefire, the lifting of the long-standing blockade, and recognition of what it calls the Palestinian people’s legitimate national rights — especially the right to freedom and self-determination.

Their message came shortly after US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace convened in Washington for its first official meeting. The gathering focused on stabilizing and rebuilding Gaza, more than four months into what has been described as a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Billions Pledged for Rebuilding

At the Washington meeting, several countries pledged financial and logistical support to rebuild the war-affected territory. President Trump stated that over seven billion dollars had been promised, largely from Gulf nations, signaling significant international interest in Gaza’s recovery.

Trump also shared that five countries had agreed to contribute troops to a proposed International Stabilisation Force. Among them were Morocco, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, and Albania. Meanwhile, Indonesia — the world’s largest Muslim-majority country — agreed to take on a deputy commander role within the developing international unit. The American-led force is expected to focus on maintaining stability during reconstruction efforts.

Although Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu did not attend the Washington session personally, he was represented by Foreign Minister Gideon Saar. Netanyahu has remained firm on Israel’s position: there will be no reconstruction without demilitarisation.

“We agreed with our ally the US that there will be no reconstruction of Gaza before the demilitarisation of Gaza,” Netanyahu said, reinforcing Israel’s long-standing demand that Hamas disarm before any rebuilding begins.

Two Conditions, One Uncertain Path

The situation now presents two very different starting points.

Hamas insists that talks must begin with an end to military operations and the removal of restrictions on Gaza. Israel maintains that security comes first — and that demilitarisation is non-negotiable before reconstruction funds are deployed.

Caught between these positions are the civilians of Gaza, many of whom continue to live amid destruction, displacement, and uncertainty.

As billions are pledged and diplomatic boards assemble, the central question remains unresolved:
Can peace and reconstruction begin without agreement on the basic conditions each side demands?

For families waiting for homes to be rebuilt, for children seeking stability, and for a region long defined by conflict, the answer carries enormous weight.

The coming weeks will determine whether diplomacy can bridge this divide — or whether Gaza’s future remains suspended between competing conditions and political realities.

Tagged:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *